It’s hard to believe that Christmas is only a hop, skip and a jump away now. It’s done it’s usual trick of sneaking up and catching me off guard.
It’ll just be the five of us for Christmas this year so I’ve been trying to think about what to cook. I want to be organised this year so I can actually enjoy the day. My instinct wants to make a full, hot traditional roast turkey (or ham) but I have to remind myself that it’ll probably be a boiling hot day and the kids will most likely just turn their noses up at it.
So I’m going to embrace the Aussie traditions and go with a cold meats, salads and seafood. A first for us!!
I love this Thermomix Christmas Quiche recipe. It’s so easy to make and with it’s bright red, white and green colours it looks perfect on any Christmas table. It can also be made in advance and frozen, which is fab as it takes the pressure off being stuck in the kitchen on Christmas morning.
- 400g plain flour
- 200g cold butter cubed
- 130g ice cold water
- 2 medium beetroots
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 8 eggs
- 140g cream
- 140g cream cheese
- 1 block danish feta cheese
- A large handful of grated cheese for topping
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper and ground cumin to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato and beetroot into small cubes.
- Line a roasting tray with baking paper and spread the cubes out.
- Drizzle them with a generous amount of olive oil and sprinkle them with salt, pepper and ground cumin.
- Using your hand mix them all together until they are well coated. Pop them in the oven to roast for about 25 mins. Don't cook them all the way through as they will go in the oven again later.
- To make the pastry, add the butter and flour to the Thermomix and mix for 5 seconds on speed 6 until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the water slowly, mixing on speed 5 for a couple of seconds.
- Set the Thermomix to the closed lid position and knead for 30 seconds.
- Split the pastry into two balls and press each one into a well greased flan tin. Pop them into the fridge until the potato and beetroot is ready.
- Add the eggs, cream, cream cheese, salt and pepper to the thermomix and whizz on speed 6 for 10-15 seconds.
- Take your two pastry flans out of the fridge and fill with beetroot, sweet potato, feta cheese and spinach leaves.
- Slowly pour half of the egg mixture into each one.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Turn the oven down to 180 degrees and pop them in for 50 mins or until golden brown on top.
- Enjoy hot or cold.
What’s your favourite thing to eat on Christmas Day?