I made these using my thermomix but you can make them just as easily with a good blender. I originally saw the recipe on a Facebook page called Just East Real Food and I modified it to work with the ingredients I had in my cupboard. I can honestly say that they are DIVINE!!!!! Even the kids absolutely loved them (although I put some crushed ‘real’ chocolate on top just to entice them in.)
The recipe takes about 10-15 minutes to make and about 45 mins in the fridge to set. It makes a pretty sizeable portion of about 20 squares of fudge brownies too.
- For the brownie base you will need:
- 225g raw cashew nuts
- 240g coconut
- 240g soft pitted dates
- 80g good raw cocoa powder
- 120g organic rice malt syrup (or maple syrup)
- For the fudge/ganache topping you will need:
- 120g organic maple syrup
- 50g good raw cocoa powder
- 60g unrefined coconut oil
- 30g cocoa nips or coconut or crushed nuts or chocolate for the topping
- Put the cashews into the TM bowl and blend on speed 9 for 5 seconds until they have become a fine powder. Be careful not to over-blend them or you will end up with cashew butter!
- Add the dates and coconut and blend again for 45 seconds on speed 10 until you have a slightly sticky 'combined' crumb.
- Add the cocoa and mix on speed 8 for 15 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then repeat for a further 15 seconds.
- Add the syrup and mix on speed 6 for 1 minute until your have a very sticky mixture.
- Using your hands, press the mixture into a lined baking tray. Make sure it is as even as possible and pressed right into the corners. You will find it becomes quite oily (from the coconut and syrup), so once you are happy with it press a piece of paper towel over the top just to absorb any excess oil.
- Put it into the fridge for about 20 minutes to set whilst you get on with making the ganache.
- Add the coconut oil, cocoa and syrup to the TM Bowl and mix on speed 8 for 1 45 seconds until you have a thick icing like consistency.
- Spread it on top of your brownie base, add your choice of topping (or none at all) and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Cut into small squares and ENJOY.
- (Store in the fridge).
My kids loved it to much I had to make a second batch and they wanted to help. I was a tiny bit worried that they wouldn’t eat it once they saw what actually went in it, but they didn’t seem to mind at all and loved the second batch just as much.
One point for mummy. WOOP!