It was Master J’s 7th birthday last week (which I wrote about here) and every birthday I always make cupcakes for his class at school. I tried to get out of it this year by offering to buy 25 chocolate Freddo Frogs instead, but he insisted on cupcakes – and specifically chocolate chip ones!! I’ve never made chocolate chip cake cakes before so I had to hunt for a recipe and in the end I turned to my FAVOURITE baking goddess – Nigella Lawson of course!! I secretly love watching her shows on the FOOD channel too.
Nigella has the most amazing recipe for chocolate chip muffins, so I figured that if I tweaked it a little they could be pretty good cupcakes?? Luckily for Master J they turned out to be delicious. I even got a compliment from his teacher – winning!!!
I converted the recipe to use my thermomix, because as you know I’m a hopeless cook without it, but I’m sure you can just as easily make them without one.
Here is the recipe for Nigella Lawson’s chocolate chip muffins in the thermomix.
This recipe makes 30 cupcakes
350g raw sugar
500g plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
80g cocoa powder
180g rice bran oil (Nigella used vegetable oil, but I don’t like it)
2 tsp vanilla extract
150g white chocolate chips
150g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the sugar into the thermomix and whizz for 15 seconds on speed 9 to make caster sugar. Set it aside in a separate bowl.
- Add all the liquid ingredients (including the eggs) to the bowl and mix for 15 seconds on speed 5.
- Add all the dry ingredient to the bowl, except the chocolate chips and mix for 15 seconds on speed 4. Scrape down the sides and repeat until everything is blended together.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix for 15 seconds on reverse speed 4 for 15 seconds. Repeat if necessary.
- Fill your cupcake cups until each one is just over half full. The mixture is quite thick so you might need two spoons for this job.
- Pop into the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
200g icing sugar (or raw sugar)
Add all the ingredients to the thermomix and mix on speed 6/7 for 1 minute. Spread over each cupcake once they have cooled right down and decorate how ever you would like. Or you could hire some enthusiastic little decorators like I did.
Enjoy (and I’m taking no responsibility for broken diets)