I’m currently going through (what I hope will be) the final stages of dinner time war. My older two kids have been there, done that, and are now relatively happy to eat whatever I cook at dinner time. My three year old on the other hand, has totally got other ideas, and every night we all take our stands at the battle table.
I’m sure any parent out there will sympathise with me right now. You’re either in the thick of it too, or you’re nodding sympathetically while doing a little happy dance to celebrate passing this stage. Hugzilla wrote a post the other day about toddler diets which explains things so perfectly.
At the moment, hot milk, plain pasta and the odd piece of cheese is all that seems to make it on to her plate. EVERYTHING else (except chocolate, cakes and lollies of course) is YUK!! God it’s SO frustrating.
Anyway the other day I had a massive win. I made this take on a ‘cauliflower cheese’ cross a ‘mac and cheese’ and she actually ate it. That’s right…….I nearly fell off my chair in disbelief. Of course she still had to have the final win and eat it with her fingers – refusing any kind of cutlery. BUT SHE STILL ATE IT!!
NaturallyI had to share the recipe with you too. The second best part about it, is that it’s pretty damn delicious and super easy to whip up. (It’s not just for the thermomix either).
- 250g broccoli (cut into bite size pieces)
- 300g cauliflower (cut into bite size pieces)
- 900g water
- 300g macaroni pasta
- 8 slices of bacon
- 500g milk
- 50g flour
- 50g butter
- large pinch of salt
- large pinch of paprika
- 1tsp mustard
- 1 slices of bread (frozen)
- 70g cheddar
- 60g parmesan cheese
- Put the slice of bread into the freezer.
- Measure the water into the thermomix and attach the varoma to the top.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower, and steam on varoma temperature for 16 minutes on speed 4.
- While the veggies are steaming, put the pasta on to boil (as per the packet instructions) and drain under cold water once it's cooked.
- Fry up the bacon (in it's own fat) until it is nice and crispy. Roughly chop it into chunks.
- Rince the veggies under cold water before adding them plus the bacon and pasta to an oven proof dish.
- Turn your oven on to 180 degrees.
- Add 30g parmesan cheese and the slice of bread from the freezer to the thermomix bowl and chop for 10 seconds on speed 7. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- To your thermomix bowl, add the milk, flour, salt, paprika and butter and cook for 7 minutes on 90 degrees, speed 4.
- Add the cheddar (in small chunks) and 30g of the parmesan cheese as well a tsp of mustard.
- Mix on speed 7 for 15 seconds and then cook on 90 degrees, speed 3 for a further minute.
- Tip the sauce all over the veggies, bacon and pasta and mix well.
- Add the breadcrumb and cheese mix to the top and pop it in the oven.
- Bake for approx 15 minutes or until the top starts to turn a golden brown and the sauce is bubbling.
Do you have a recipe that is a guaranteed toddler win??
Please do share.