|Possibly not the prettiest looking scrolls but they were delicious!|
I made the most DELICIOUS christmas fruit mince the other day. It was so good I had to stop myself from eating it out of the jar with a spoon. It was the first time I’ve ever made it and it was surprisingly easy – so much so that I don’t think I’ll ever buy mince pies again.
The kids are not huge fans of mince pies so this was really a treat for me. I was all set to make my pies (with my special mince) when I saw a Jamie Oliver Christmas show on TV and he had a Christmas mince pie scroll recipe instead of pies!! Genius! So I decided to be a bit of a copycat and make them too. I do still want to make my pies but I think I’m going to have to wait just a little bit closer to Christmas otherwise I’ll just eat them all – and then have to make them again!!!
Here’s my recipe:
- 500g apples (peeled and cored)
- 1/2 orange (juice and rind)
- 1/2 lemon (juice and rind)
- 300g mixed fruit (raisons, sultanas, cherries etc)
- 30g dried cranberries
- 50g raw almonds
- 30g butter
- 50g brandy
- 20g apple cider vinegar
- 200g raw sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Put the orange and lemon rind into the thermomix and blitz it for about 10 seconds on speed 8/9. Scrape the sides and repeat if you need to until it is very finely grated. If you prefer it chunkier then use speed 5.
- Add the juice of the orange and lemon, the apples and almonds. Chop them on speed 5 for about 5 seconds until they are in quite small chunks.
- Add everything else and cook for 30 minutes on 100 degrees with reverse speed soft.