Today’s prompt for Blogging (almost) every day May with Claire Hewitt is:
Describe your relationship with your phone – Honestly!
I don’t know why, but the first word that springs to mind is ‘unhealthy’.
I’ve been swirling the question around in my head all afternoon and actually I don’t think it’s unhealthy at all!! Maybe on the odd occasion it might lean towards the unhealthy but I am pretty happy with the relationship I have with my Apple.
Yes I do…….
- Check my phone first thing every morning! BUT Mr D can’t function without a coffee as soon as his eyes are open and my kids have to sit like zombies in front of the TV before they’re capable of getting ready for the day. Thats just how we roll!
- Have my phone with me all the time! BUT imagine what might happen if I didn’t?? I might miss a call from the kids school or not know if Mr D is staying out late at work, or be able to respond to one of you lovely readers on here????
- Watch TV and sit on social media all at the same time. What can I say, multi-tasking is a skill.
- Spend a lot of time on social media. BUT I enjoy it. I really love this blog and chatting to all the lovely people that read it. It’s also the only way I can catch up with friends and family that live abroad, especially when it’s not possible to just meet up for coffee (or wine).
- Use it to get me from A to B – literally. Without google maps I would be a nervous wreck in the car!
- Use it as my second brain. All of my notes, memos, diary dates, phone numbers, emails and pretty much all important information is on my phone. I would be lost without it.
- Use it to keep me up to date with what’s happening in the world. Who (with kids) has time to sit down at 6pm and watch the news on TV??? I wouldn’t have a clue what was going on if it wasn’t for SKY News (Facebook, Twitter and Mama Mia).
I try my best not to……
- Use my phone between 3pm and 7pm. This time is just for the kids and all the craziness that goes with it. Any social media between this time I try to schedule in advance.
- Look at my phone every 10 minutes too often when I am catching up with friends. Unless of course we’re all addicts and then its ok.
- Loose it or break it. This can be pretty tricky when the kids drop it on the floor, lick it, or fight over it. I can’t always blame them though as I might have done things like leave it on the car bonnet and then drive over it, or wash it in the washing machine!!
- Use it as the occasional babysitter.
There is so much said these days about how terrible we’ve all become with modern technology, but actually, used in moderation (like everything) I think it’s ok.
How would you describe your relationship with your phone??
Baby sitter! Guilty here for that, especially in waiting rooms or if I am having a catch up chat with a friend, or …
I also quickly hand over the phone when it’s an emergency and I need 5 minutes peace at an appointment or something! I do agree though that phones do make worldwide connectivity much easier 🙂
Yep guilty of using it as an occasional babysitter when we are out to lunch or dinner and need the kids to sit still.