Despite it’s funny appearance (I know you giggled – so did Mr D), toad in the hole is actually bloody delicious. I mean who doesn’t love sausages in pancake batter? My friend Amanda from ‘A cooker and a Looker blog’ taught me exactly how to make toad in the hole (and her version is non thermomix for anyone who’s interested). Funny how I had to learn the recipe from an Aussie!
Anyway, I decided to convert the recipe for the thermomix, seeing as that’s my go-to in the kitchen. I put a bit of a kiddie twist on it too, in the hope of luring my kids in……….and it worked a treat. They loved the little individual toads, and of course teaming it with sweet potato mash was a no brained as it’s one of their favourites. Don’t you just love how easy it is to make mash potato in the thermomix? I added a few easy peasy frozen greens too.
- 6 small chipolata sausages (or 6 normal sausages cut in half).
- 3 tbs olive oil
- A small bunch of fresh chives
- 115g plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 250g milk
- salt and pepper
- 50g parmesan cheese
- 250g milk
- 30g butter
- 400g potatoes (peeled and and quartered)
- 600g sweet potatoes (peeled and quartered)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Prepare your muffin tray for 12 (I add silicone patties to make it easier to remove the toad in the hole once cooked).
- Add half a tsp of olive oil into each hole.
- Put one sausage into each hole and pop it in the oven to cook for 5 minutes.
- While the sausage is cooking, add the chives to the thermomix bowl and chop of 3 seconds on speed 4.
- Add the eggs, milk and flour and whisk together for 30 seconds on speed 6 until your batter is formed.
- After 5 minutes, take the tray of sausages out of the oven (carefully) and pour some batter into each cup (over the sausage) until each one is 3/5 full. Pop it back into the over for a further 20 minutes, or until each one has risen nicely and is a nice golden brown.
- While the toad in the hole is in the oven give the thermomix bowl a quick rinse and add the parmesan cheese. Chop it for 10-15 seconds on speed 8 and set it aside.
- Peel and chop all the potatoes and add them to the thermomix bowl.
- Add the milk and salt and cook for 20-25 minutes at 100 degrees, speed 1.
- Insert the butterfly and add the butter and parmesan cheese.
- Mash for 20 to 30 seconds on speed 3-4.
- Serve with your toad and the hole and some green veggies if you fancy them.
So tell me…..did you giggle at my photography??
Will you try a toad in the hole?