These biscuits are absolutely perfect for little kids in the kitchen. Although I’ve used my thermomix, you really don’t need one.
This cookie dough is so easy to work with that the kids can really get stuck into making all kinds of shapes without the dough breaking up and falling to pieces. It’s just like having edible play dough!!
It literally takes about 3 minutes to whip up a batch of dough and it can give you almost an hour of peace to get on with whatever you were doing while the kids create their master pieces. A total winner if I do say so.
- 90g butter
- 100g sugar
- 230g flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Cookie cutters
- Approx. 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbs boiling water
- 1-2 drops food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Add the sugar to the thermomix bowl and spin for 3 seconds on speed 9.
- Add the butter and the vanilla and mix for 20 seconds on speed 5.
- Scrape down the sides and repeat 2 more times, but on speed 4, until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Add the egg and beat on speed 4 for 20 seconds. Scrape down the sides.
- Add all the dry ingredients. Knead for 25 seconds on speed soft.
- Add a little flour to your work bench and roll the dough into a square shape about 2-3 cm thick. Wrap it up in cling film and pop it in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Once it's nice and firm, roll it out so that it is approx 1 cm thick, get out your cookie cutters and let your kids have fun cutting shapes.
- Lay them on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes (or until they are golden around the edges but still soft in the middle).
- Allow to cool before icing.
- To make the icing:
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl and mix on speed 5 for 30 seconds. If you need to, add a little more icing sugar and mix again until you have a thick paste.
- Ice and decorate each biscuit.
- Allow them to set for about 10 minutes and then enjoy.
The only downside to this recipe/activity is the sprinkles. They get EVERYWHERE!!!
Hope your little ones have as much fun with these as mine do.