Last night I made butter chicken for dinner and although I’ve made a heap of times before, Hollie told me it was the best dinner in the whole world!!!! That was a major fist pump moment for me as she’s not been the easiest kid to feed.
Of course if Hollie says it’s good then it really must be. You’re going to have to take my word for it and try it out. The best thing about this recipe I think, is that it is just so quick and easy to make. It is literally takes half and hour from start to finish, making it perfect for busy week nights.
- 25g butter
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 400g chicken (cubed)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp tumeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- good pinch of salt
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (this will make the curry mild. Add more if you prefer more heat)
- 1 tsp korma or garam masala paste
- 100g tomato paste
- 1 400g tin coconut cream
- 1 400g tin chickpeas
- chopped parsley and desiccated coconut for garnish.
- For the rice:
- 400g basmati rice
- 1 400g tin coconut milk
- 500g water
- pinch of salt
- Chop the onion and garlic for 5 seconds on speed 6.
- Add the butter and saute for 2 mins, 100 degrees speed soft.
- Add the chicken and all the spices and mix together on REVERSE speed 2 for 5 seconds.
- Cook on 100 degrees for 5 mins on REVERSE speed soft.
- Add the tomato paste, coconut cream and chickpeas and gently cook for a further 5 mins at 90 degrees on REVERSE speed 1.
- Pour into a serving bowl and keep covered while you cook the rice.
- Put the steaming basket into the thermomix and weight out the rice.
- Rinse it under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Add 500g water and the coconut milk to the thermomix and put the basket with the rice back in.
- Cook for 14 mins on varoma temperature, speed 4.
- Serve hot with your butter chicken and enjoy.
So I now have two out of three kids who will eat (if not try) most things I cook these days. I am still working on the toddler though, who has who own opinions about what she will and will not eat (most things still fall in the ‘will not category’)!
Do you have any fussy eaters in your house?
Do you love butter chicken?