It’s Thursday today so at least we’re over the hump, but I still seem to be running around like a headless chook. I actually went for a proper run this morning and ran a whole 4km. I am dead set impressed with myself, although I quite easily curl up and go for a nap now. It’s Miss Lexi’s 3rd birthday tomorrow so I have to hit the mall instead.
I know I’m not going to have much time to do dinner, so we’re having a good old fashioned frittata. I should call this one egg and bacon pie as that’s what my kiddies know it as. They love it, and for that reason alone, I love it too. There are so many different variations of the humble fritatta, but this is the combination that is the most loved in our house.
It’s really easy to make and is the perfect mid-week meal. I always make two and then give the kids a slice or two in their lunchbox for school the next day. It’s a nice break from boring sandwiches. We sometimes have it for brekkie on the weekends too.
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 cup grated cheese
- ⅔ cup cream
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Place the broccoli in the varoma with 500g water and steam on varoma temperature, speed 4 for 8-10 minutes or until they are soft but still crunchy.
- Fry the bacon on a frying pan and chop into chunky pieces.
- Line a baking dish with baking paper and sprinkle the broccoli and bacon on the bottom.
- Add the eggs and cream to the thermomix bowl and spin on speed 6 for 5 seconds.
- Pour over the broccoli and bacon.
- Sprinkle in all the cheese and give it a little stir with a spoon to make sure everything is evenly distributed.
- Cook for 30 mins or until the top is golden brown and the egg is cooked through. Be careful not to over cook it otherwise it will be too dry.
- Cut into squares and enjoy on it's own or with a side salad.
What’s your favourite version of the fritatta?